Academic Programs Catalog

General Information, Policies, Procedures and Regulations

Housing and Dining

University Housing Policy
Administrative Ruling-University Housing Requirements and Procedures

In accordance with the University Housing Policy, the following stipulations apply:

On-Campus Housing Requirement. Subject to the exceptions below, as a condition of enrollment, first year and second year students (including transfer students, regardless of the number of transfer credits granted) must live in on-campus housing for the first four semesters they are enrolled, summer term excluded. Failure to adhere to the on-campus housing requirement may result in termination of enrollment.

Exceptions to On-Campus Housing Requirement. The on-campus housing requirement above is subject to the following exceptions:

  1. Married students.
  2. Students who will be at least twenty years of age by the first day of classes of fall semester. 
  3. Veterans with one or more years of active service. 
  4. Students living with family, parent(s) or legal guardian. 
  5. Students taking 6 or less credits during the semester in question. 

Any student seeking an exception to the on-campus housing requirement, must apply for the exception prior to moving into university housing. The procedures for an exception can be obtained by contacting the Office of Student and Community Relations, Student Services Building, 555 E. Circle Drive, Room 169,
East Lansing, MI, 48824, at 1-517-355-8286 or visiting