Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA)
The Michigan Transfer Agreement requires all students to successfully complete at least 30 credits*, with at least a grade of 2.0 in each course. These credits should be met according to the following areas:
- One course in English Composition
- A second course in English Composition or one course in Communications
- Two courses in Social Sciences (from two disciplines)
- Two courses in Humanities and Fine Arts (from two disciplines excluding studio and performance classes)
- Two courses in Natural Sciences including one with laboratory experience (from two disciplines)
- One course in Mathematics
*Additional coursework may be necessary to satisfy the 30 credit hour requirement.
Your transcript from the two-year institution must have the designation of “MTA Satisfied” in order to have the agreement honored at MSU. Courses will be evaluated and credit will be awarded based on our TransferMSU website. The University Requirements will be satisfied through the Degree Audit system (currently Degree Navigator) based on the agreement as stated above.
Transfer students are expected to meet Michigan State University’s Integrative Studies, Mathematics, and Tier I Writing requirements, which are similar but not identical to general education requirements at other institutions, either by completing appropriate Michigan State University courses or by transferring courses and credits that are evaluated as acceptable equivalents for Michigan State University courses. Michigan State University is a member institution of the Michigan Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (MACRAO) and a participant in the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA).
For further information, please visit the MACRAO website at https://macrao.org/Publications/MTA.asp.