Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA)
Michigan State University is an active participant in the Michigan Transfer Agreement. For those students transferring to MSU who have received the MTA designation of “MTA Satisfied” on their incoming Community College transcript, the general education requirements* at Michigan State University will be satisfied.
*Waiving of a University Requirement does not waive a course as a prerequisite.
The MTA requires a minimum of 30 semester hours of college-level credit which will fulfill most, if not all, of the lower-division general education requirements at participating four-year colleges or universities. These 30 semester hours must include:
- One course in English Composition
- A second course in English Composition or one course in Communications
- Two courses in Social Sciences (from two different academic disciplines)
- Two courses in Natural Sciences including one with laboratory experience (from two different academic disciplines)
- Two courses in Humanities or Fine Arts (from two different academic disciplines; studio and performance classes are not eligible)
- One course in College Algebra, Statistics or Quantitative Reasoning
Each course used to complete MTA requirements must be completed with a grade of 2.0 or higher.
For further information, please visit the MACRAO website at https://www.macrao.org/michigan-transfer-agreement