Veterans Certification

Michigan State University welcomes veterans and their families to East Lansing! We are an approved training facility for veterans, National Guard, reservists, and family members. Michigan State University is proud to have been named by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education as a Military Friendly School. A complete list of University resources can be found at the Student Veteran Resource Center.

raising the flag

Veterans Educational Benefits

Enrollment certification for Veterans Educational Benefits is processed by the Office of the Registrar, located in room 150 Hannah Administration Building. The Department of Veteran Affairs determines eligibility for veteran and dependent education benefits. Once a determination is made, the Office of the Registrar certifies student enrollment in compliance with the Department of Veterans Affairs regulations. The Veterans Certification Team is dedicated to making your experience at MSU a positive one.

All students seeking Veterans Educational Benefits at MSU must submit:

  1. Enrollment Certification Request
    • The Enrollment Certification Request (pdf) should be submitted to the Certification Team by fax, U.S. mail, or in-person at least 30 days prior to the start of the first semester in which benefits are sought. The completion of the Enrollment Certification Request is only required for the first semester of enrollment, or if readmission to the university is required.
  2. VA Certificate of Eligibilty or Award letter
    • The Certificate of Eligibility is issued by the Department of Veteran Affairs to the applicant/student showing approval to pursue an education program at a particular institution. This includes the remaining entitlement for the student and the eligibility dates.
  3. DD214 (if applicable)

When a student earns the minimum number of credits for graduation, an assessment of all courses taken, including transfer, will need to be completed prior to future certification of Veterans Educational Benefits. The Veterans Certification Excessive Number of Credits (pdf) form needs to be completed by your academic advisor and signed by your Associate Dean, indicating the remaining credits required for graduation.

Students enrolled in a Second Bachelor’s, Graduate, or Graduate Professional degree program at MSU are required to have an Academic Program Plan (pdf) prior to certification of the benefits. The Academic Program Plan should list all course work required to complete the intended degree. MSU will only certify courses listed on the program plan or courses confirmed by your academic advisor to the Department of Veteran Affairs for educational benefits.


The Office of the Registrar’s Veterans Certification Team will submit enrollment certification to the Department of Veteran Affairs, approximately 60 days prior to the start of the term.

raising the flag

Michigan State University offers in-state tuition if:

  1. A person is using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty Program), Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®) of Title 38 of the United States Code, and/or the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311(b)(9)), Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation), while attending Michigan State University (regardless of his/her formal state of residence).

  2. A student, the spouse of a student, or the parent of a dependent student who:
    1. is serving on active duty in the United States Uniformed Services;
    2. is serving in the guard or reserves in one of those reserve components; or
    3. has received an honorable discharge from one of those Services or reserve components.

Your enrollment status may differ between Michigan State University and the Department of Veteran Affairs. The Department of Veteran Affairs calculates rate of pursuit by start and end dates of each course and the number of credits enrolled. Enrollment in non-standard term courses will affect your enrollment status with the Department of Veteran Affairs. The Department of Veteran Affairs requires MSU to report the actual start and end dates of each course. Your benefit amount may vary throughout the semester depending on the official start and end dates of your courses. Official course dates can be found in Class Search.

Class attendance and completion is required for students receiving Veterans Educational Benefits. The Department of Veterans Affairs only pays for courses a student completes. Lack of attendance or completion of any course could affect your benefits and create a debt with the Department of Veteran Affairs.

The drop period for Department of Veteran Affairs purposes, is a reasonable time at the beginning of a term that does not exceed 30 days from the first day of the term. If you drop a course during the semester/term, the Department of Veteran Affairs may consider the drop retroactive to the start of the semester/course. Dropping a class may change your enrollment status and lead to an overpayment. Semester dates can be found in the University Academic Calendar.

The University’s refund policy for tuition and fees for students who drop a course(s) or withdraw from the university can be found in Academic Programs.

The Department of Veteran Affairs will pay for a student to repeat a course if the original grade received was a 0.0 or if the grade received does not meet the minimum requirement for graduation.

If you are planning to enroll but do not wish to receive benefits, complete the Requesting No Benefits (pdf) form. The completed form needs to be submitted to the Veterans Certification Team at least 30 days prior to the start of the semester in which benefits are not sought.

Veterans receive priority enrollment.

Veterans Affairs Education Programs

Eligibility for veteran and dependent education benefits is determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Applications can be submitted online using the Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP) or you may call 1-888-GI Bill® -1 (888-442-4551) to have an application mailed to you.


Enrollment Certification Request (pdf)
Academic Program Plan (pdf)
Excessive Number of Credits (pdf)
Requesting No Benefits (pdf)
Advance Payment Request (pdf)

Professional Licensure and Certification

Federal regulations require MSU to publicly disclose, for each educational program designed to meet the educational requirements for a specific professional license or certification required for employment in an occupation (or advertised as meeting those requirements), information about whether program completion would meet those requirements in a state. These public disclosure requirements apply to all programs, regardless of their modality (i.e., on-ground, online, and hybrid programs). MSU discloses the information related to the educational requirements for professional licensure and certification in the table at

All current and prospective students are encouraged to contact the applicable professional licensure/certification boards in their respective states for additional information regarding professional licensure/certification requirements, including, without limitation, information regarding any non-educational requirements (such as work experience, background clearance, or examination by outside entities, such as bar examinations).

The information in the table should not be construed as guaranteeing that any particular professional licensure/certification authority will approve a student’s application; nor should the information in the table be read to imply that other requirements for professional licensure/certification do not exist or that other requirements for professional licensure/certification have been determined to have been met by MSU’s program/course, or that any necessary approvals for clinical or other experiential learning placements are secured by virtue of a student’s enrollment at MSU.

State professional licensure/certification requirements are subject to change at any time.

Contact Information

Office of the Registrar
Michigan State University

Veterans Certification Team
Hannah Administration Building
426 Auditorium Road, Room 150
East Lansing, MI 48824-2603
Phone: (517) 355-5032
Fax: (517) 432-3347


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at