Academic Programs Catalog

Undergraduate Education

Academic Advisement

Admission to a Degree-Granting College

Students may be admitted as first-year students to James Madison College, Lyman Briggs College, and the Residential College in the Arts and Humanities. Students may be admitted to certain colleges following completion of a designated combination or sequence of courses. (see Admission to the College in the appropriate college section of this catalog). Students who have completed the prerequisite courses for admission to the College of Nursing may apply during the freshman year for subsequent admission. Any student who has reached junior standing by earning 56 credits must be admitted to a degree-granting college to continue as a student at Michigan State University.

ACCEPTANCE  BY A DEGREE-GRANTING COLLEGE. A student seeking admission to a degree-granting college will be accepted by a degree-granting college provided he or she:

  1. has earned a minimum of 28 credits,
  2. is in good standing (see Academic Standing of Undergraduate Students - ASUS - for additional information),
  3. has the required grade-point average in designated combinations or sequences of courses within the 28 credit minimum (see Requirements for Admission to the College in the appropriate college section of the catalog), and
  4. is selected for admission by the duly established selection committee in any department, college, or school where a specific limitation on enrollment has been established.

TEACHER CERTIFICATION. For information about teacher certification opportunities, options, and requirements, refer to the statement on Teacher Certification in the Department of Teacher Education section of this catalog.

REFUSAL OF ACCEPTANCE BY A DEGREE-GRANTING COLLEGE. By the fifth day of the next semester, students who fail to meet the requirements for admission to the degree-granting college of their choice but have earned a minimum of 56 credits and are in good standing must:

  1. apply for acceptance by another degree-granting college, or
  2. transfer to an appropriate program in the College of Arts and Letters, the College of Social Science, or the College of Natural Science.