Academic Programs Catalog

General Information, Policies, Procedures and Regulations

Housing and Dining

Living on campus at Michigan State University is an integral part of the Spartan experience. The shared experience of living on-campus is not only a rich tradition at MSU; it also comes with countless options and benefits.

Michigan State University offers a variety of on-campus housing options for undergraduate and graduate students. There are 27 residence halls and two apartment communities, including the 1855 Place student housing complex with apartments and townhouses for students and students with families. Students who live on campus are at the center of all that MSU has to offer.

Whether students are looking for a room or suite in a residence hall, gender inclusive housing which allows students to select a roommate without regard to gender, or the independence of living in an apartment with their friends or families, there is an on-campus housing option for every MSU student. Living-learning communities, alcohol-free living space and single room options may also available.

The MSU Neighborhood Model fosters an environment that promotes both student development and academic success. The model combines the residential experience with critical student support services that help our students persist toward graduation. The MSU Neighborhood Model has revolutionized the manner in which these services are delivered on a large campus, breaking campus down into smaller neighborhoods where students can feel more at home and get the support they need. Services are delivered in our Engagement Centers and residence halls, right where students live. 

On-campus living at MSU is all about providing students with a safe, secure and hassle-free living environment that will allow them to focus on being academically successful and making the most of their Spartan experience. On campus, everything from utilities and laundry to cable and internet is included. On-campus living also provides Spartans access to our award winning Culinary Services venues. More information about on-campus housing options and rates is available at

Safety on campus is our top priority and MSU takes the safety and security of our residents very seriously. Many of our residence halls are unique in that they house residential space, dining halls, offices and academic spaces such as labs and classrooms.  An electronic door access system is in place in our residence halls 24 hours a day, seven days a week, requiring students to scan their MSU ID cards to enter through exterior doors (other than main entrances) and interior doors that lead to living wings. The elevators are restricted with electronic access to residents only. Exterior entrances that lead to living wings remain locked 24 hours a day. More information about on-campus housing options and rates is available at


Residence Education Staff

Each residence hall has a team comprised of a community director, neighborhood administrative coordinators, community support staff, residence directors or assistant community directors, resident assistants, and service center representatives. These staff members are responsible for community building, linking students to support services across campus, and responding to emergencies that may arise in the building. 


Residence Halls Association

The MSU Residence Halls Association (RHA) is the on-campus student government at Michigan State University. Representing more than 14,000 students, MSU RHA is one of the largest Residence Halls Associations in the country. MSU RHA is dedicated to improving the on-campus living experience, and providing many services to students. Campus Center Cinemas, RHA TV, and a number of on-campus events are all services that are provided to the students by RHA.

Living-Learning and Residential College Program

Michigan State University’s living-learning, academic and special interest programs allow students who share similar academic interests to live together in a designated residence hall or on a particular residence hall floor. Many of the living-learning options allow students to attend class with the same group of peers in their residence hall, which enhances friendships, networking and facilitated ease of gatherings and study time. For more information on living-learning communities at MSU, visit


Residence Halls and Apartment Application Procedure

New students, including transfers and graduate students, receive housing application information after being admitted to the university. Applications for housing at MSU are completed online through the My Housing portal, which is accessible via Any questions regarding the housing application process should be directed to the Housing Assignments Office at 517-884-5483, 877-954-8366 or


Summer Housing - Residence Halls

Housing is available for summer session, although reservations are handled separately from those for the regular school year. Students can apply for summer session in the middle of the spring semester. At the end of summer session, students must move out of their summer residence hall and move to their fall placement.

Off-Campus Housing

The Off-Campus Housing Office, 101 Student Services Building, has current listings of housing available to all members of the University community. Staff members in the office also provide general advice and information to persons with problems arising from off-campus housing situations. Off-campus dining plans are available for purchase.

Greek Community

Many of Michigan State University's 52 nationally and internationally affiliated fraternities and sororities offer chapter houses in which their members may live. Chapter members are responsible for the business aspects of managing a chapter house, as well as providing activities addressing leadership development, community service, sports and recreation, social life, alumni relations, accountability and responsibility for their members. For more information on this collegiate living experience, contact the Department of Student Life at 1-517-355-8286.


Cooperative Living Units

A unique type of living experience for Michigan State University students is provided in student housing cooperatives. Students own and operate their own houses and are responsible for governance, maintenance, budgeting and meal planning. Cooperative principles affirm democratic control and open membership to any interested student. The housing cooperatives are all located near the campus and vary in size from 12 to 50 members. Additional information about cooperative housing may be obtained from the Intercooperative Council Office, 317 Student Services Building.

Religious Living Units

In general, living in religious living units is similar to living in other residences with the addition of a denominational religious experience. These units include Living ROCK (men), East Lansing Student Living Center (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints), and the Hillel Jewish Student Center.


Eat At State

MSU’s dining plan allows unlimited access to each of our ten residential dining halls. It also includes Combo-X-Change, which allows a meal access as a combo at all Sparty’s locations, Sparty’s Market (an urban-style grocery store), the MSU Union Food Court, and for takeout from the dining halls. Six Combo-X-Changes are available to use each week (no more than one can be used per day) for on-the-go meals or quick snacks during a study break.

Wherever you eat on campus, your health is one of our top priorities. In each campus neighborhood, an executive chef oversees the creation of daily menus, including vegetarian, vegan and allergy-friendly offerings. Our nationally-recognized food allergy program creates a personalized experience for diners, and nutrition and allergen information is always available at


For Further Housing Information

University Housing Assignments Office

Housing Assignments Office
1855 Place
550 S. Harrison Road
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48823
Telephone:  1-517-884-LIVE (5483) or
877-9 LIVE ON (954-8366)

Culinary Services

Culinary Services Office
1855 Place
550 S. Harrison Road
East Lansing, MI 48823
Telephone:  1-517-884-0660

Off-Campus Housing

Off-Campus Housing Office
101 Student Services Building
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1113
Telephone:  1-517-355-8303

University Housing Policy

Michigan State University's housing system seeks to provide an educational environment which is maximally conducive to the learning process of students. Consistent with this philosophy, a variety of living options supported by student fees, is made available in university housing. The university has requirements for on-campus residence to promote an optimal learning environment for students. Any undergraduate student enrolled for seven or more credits at Michigan State University for a semester, summer session excluded, is subject to the university's housing regulations. Compliance with the university housing policy is a condition of enrollment.


Administrative Ruling-University Housing Requirements and Procedures

In accordance with the University Housing Policy, the following stipulations apply:

On-Campus Housing Requirement. Subject to the exceptions below, as a condition of enrollment, first year and second year students (including transfer students, regardless of the number of transfer credits granted) must live in on-campus housing for the first two semesters they are enrolled. Failure to adhere to the on-campus housing requirement may result in termination of enrollment.

Exceptions to On-Campus Housing Requirement. The on-campus housing requirement above is subject to the following exceptions:

  1. Married students.
  2. Students who will be at least twenty years of age by the first day of classes of fall semester. 
  3. Veterans with one or more years of active service. 
  4. Students living with parent(s) or legal guardian. 
  5. Students taking 6 or less credits during the semester in question. 

Any student seeking an exception to the on-campus housing requirement, other than for one of the exceptions set forth above, must apply for the exception prior to moving into university housing. The procedures for an exception can be obtained by contacting the Department of Student Life, Student Services Building, 556 E. Circle Drive, Room 101, East Lansing, MI, 48825, at 1-517-355-8286 or visiting


Those students for whom the housing requirement is a condition of enrollment will be asked to verify their adherence to it. Failure to maintain the required residency could result in termination of enrollment by the Division of Student Affairs and Services. Enforcement of the housing regulations is the responsibility of the Division of Student Affairs and Services. The housing requirement does not apply to students during a semester in which they are enrolled for 6 or fewer credits or during the summer. In any subsequent semester during which the student carries 7 or more credits, the requirement will again become applicable.



Every student is required to report his or her correct current address at the time of registration and to report any change of address thereafter. Failure to register the actual address at which he or she is living, or failure to notify the university of a change of address within five class days after the change becomes effective, will be considered as falsification of university records. Change of off-campus address is made in the Office of the Registrar or via Stulnfo. Change of on-campus address is made in the student's My Housing account.

Housing Contract

The Residence Education and Housing Services Housing Contracts is in effect for the period stated in the terms of the Contract. Any student, regardless of class standing, is obligated to fulfill the duration of the Housing Contract unless an authorized release is obtained. (Note: Application for release may be made through Residence Education and Housing Services.) This regulation applies to all students (freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors, special and graduate) who enter into a contract for on-campus housing.


Only those persons who have received official housing assignments may live in university housing.


Special Permission

Prior to moving into university housing, any new student may apply for an exception to the housing requirements. Information on the special permission procedure and criteria for exceptions can be obtained by contacting the Department of Student Life, 101 Student Services Building. Applications will be considered by a committee appointed by the Vice President for Student Affairs and Services. A student may appeal the decision of the committee to the Vice President for Student Affairs and Services. Off-campus living units that were recognized by the university as 'supervised' housing units in the spring of 1983 will continue to be eligible to house students consistent with past practice. Specific conditions that will ensure this eligibility will be developed by the Vice President for Student Affairs and Services and in consultation with appropriate off-campus living units. The residents of these units must be advised that the unit is neither supervised by nor under the jurisdiction of the university and that the university assumes no responsibility for the program, the facility, or persons associated with the unit.