Graduate Degree

Small Animal Clinical Sciences - Master of Science

Small Animal Clinical Sciences - Master of Science
Plan Code:
Program Level:
Award Type:
Master of Science
College of Veterinary Medicine
Small Animal Clinical Sciences

Excerpt from the official Academic Programs Catalog:

Listed below are the approved requirements for the program from the official Academic Programs Catalog.
Students must consult their advisors to learn which specific requirements apply to their degree programs.

College of Veterinary Medicine

Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences

Graduate Study
Small Animal Clinical Sciences - Master of Science

The department offers advanced studies leading to the Master of Science degree. The program is designed primarily for graduate veterinarians in the residency training program in the department.

Emphasis in the program is placed on clinically oriented research which is well supported by the facilities available and the clinical case volume. Graduates of this program will find opportunities in all areas of practice, teaching, and research.

In addition to meeting the requirements of the university and of the College of Veterinary Medicine, students must meet the requirements specified below.


The candidate must possess a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree or its equivalent and have the potential qualifications for graduate study. Licensure to practice veterinary medicine in the State of Michigan is usually required.

Requirements for the Master of Science Degree in Small Animal Clinical Sciences

The student must complete 30 credits under Plan A (with thesis).

Supporting courses may be taken in such areas as anatomy, pathology, physiology, pharmacology, microbiology, immunology, nutrition, parasitology, statistics, virology, chemistry, and animal genetics.

Academic Standards

Three grades below a 3.0 in graduate courses will remove a student from degree candidacy.

Transfer Credits

As many as 9 semester credits of graduate work (excluding research and thesis credits) may be transferred from other institutions, upon approval of the department chairperson, the Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies, and the student's guidance committee.