Academic Programs Catalog

General Information, Policies, Procedures and Regulations

Housing and Dining

Living on campus at Michigan State University is an integral part of the Spartan experience. The shared experience of living on-campus is not only a rich tradition at MSU; it also comes with countless options and benefits.

Michigan State University offers a variety of on-campus housing options for undergraduate and graduate students. There are 27 residence halls and two apartment communities, including the 1855 Place student housing complex with apartments and townhouses for students and students with families. Students who live on campus are at the center of all that MSU has to offer.

The MSU Neighborhood Model fosters an environment that promotes both student development and academic success. The model combines the residential experience with critical student support services that help our students persist toward graduation. The MSU Neighborhood Model has revolutionized the manner in which these services are delivered on a large campus, breaking campus down into smaller neighborhoods where students can feel more at home and get the support they need. Services are delivered in our Engagement Centers and residence halls, right where students live. 

On-campus living at MSU is all about providing students with a safe, secure and hassle-free living environment that will allow them to focus on being academically successful and making the most of their Spartan experience. On campus, everything from utilities and laundry to cable and internet is included. On-campus living also provides Spartans access to our award winning Culinary Services venues. More information about on-campus housing options and rates is available at

Safety on campus is our top priority and MSU takes the safety and security of our residents very seriously. Many of our residence halls are unique in that they house residential space, dining halls, offices and academic spaces such as labs and classrooms.  An electronic door access system is in place in our residence halls 24 hours a day, seven days a week, requiring students to scan their MSU ID cards to enter through exterior doors (other than main entrances) and interior doors that lead to living wings. The elevators are restricted with electronic access to residents only. Exterior entrances that lead to living wings remain locked 24 hours a day. More information about on-campus housing options and rates is available at


Residence Education Staff

Each residence hall has a team comprised of a community director, neighborhood administrative coordinators, community support staff, residence directors or assistant community directors, resident assistants, facilities building workers, and service center representatives. These staff members are responsible for community building, linking students to support services across campus, and responding to emergencies that may arise in the building. 


Residence Halls Association

The MSU Residence Halls Association (RHA) is the on-campus student government at Michigan State University. Representing more than 14,000 students, MSU RHA is one of the largest Residence Halls Associations in the country. MSU RHA is dedicated to improving the on-campus living experience, and providing many services to students. Campus Center Cinemas, RHA TV, and a number of on-campus events are all services that are provided to the students by RHA.

Living-Learning and Residential College Program

Michigan State University’s living-learning, academic and special interest programs allow students who share similar academic interests to live together in a designated residence hall or on a particular residence hall floor. Many of the living-learning options allow students to attend class with the same group of peers in their residence hall, which enhances friendships, networking and facilitated ease of gatherings and study time. For more information on living-learning communities at MSU, visit


Residence Halls and Apartment Application Procedure

New students, including transfers and graduate students, receive housing application information after being admitted to the university. Applications for housing at MSU are completed online through the My Housing portal, which is accessible via Any questions regarding the housing application process should be directed to the Housing Assignments Office at 1-517-884-5483, 1-877-954-8366 or


Summer Housing - Residence Halls

Housing is available for summer session, although reservations are handled separately from those for the regular academic year. Students can apply for summer session in the middle of the spring semester. At the end of summer session, students must move out of their summer residence hall and move to their fall placement.

Off-Campus Housing

Staff members in the office provide general advice and information to persons with problems arising from off-campus housing situations. Students are also encouraged to visit for local listings and general information. Off-campus dining plans are available for purchase.

Fraternity and Sorority Community

Many of Michigan State University's 61 nationally and internationally affiliated fraternities and sororities offer chapter houses in which their members may live in accordance with the Group Housing program. Chapter members are responsible for the business aspects of managing a chapter house, as well as providing activities addressing leadership development, community service, sports and recreation, social life, alumni relations, accountability and responsibility for their members. For more information on this collegiate living experience, contact Fraternity and Sorority Life at 1-517-355-8286.

Cooperative Living Units

A unique type of living experience for Michigan State University students is provided in student housing cooperatives. Students own and operate their own houses and are responsible for governance, maintenance, budgeting and meal planning. Cooperative principles affirm democratic control and open membership to any interested student. The housing cooperatives are all located near the campus and vary in size from 12 to 50 members. Additional information about cooperative housing may be obtained from at

Religious Living Units

In general, living in religious living units is similar to living in other residences with the addition of a denominational religious experience. These units include Living ROCK (men), East Lansing Student Living Center (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints), and the Hillel Jewish Student Center.


Eat At State

MSU provides dining options that support students’ active lifestyle. Silver, Gold and Platinum dining plans offer unlimited access to all-you-care-to-eat dining halls, plus 12 Combo-X-Change meals per week. Gold and Platinum also have varying levels of guest passes and Spartan Cash included.

Combo-X-Change (CX) is an additional meal swipe that dining plan holders can use for a meal on the go at participating locations. 

CX locations include Sparty’s mini-markets, Sparty’s Market, The Workshop at STEM, Starbucks, Strange Matter at MSU Union, Panera Bread at Minskoff Pavilion, all venues at the International Center food court, State Room Restaurant in the Kellogg Center for lunch, as well as mobile ordering and grab and go locations.

Wherever you dine on campus, your health and safety are our top priority. Each campus neighborhood has an executive chef overseeing the creation of daily menus, including selections to support ovo-lacto vegetarianism, vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free diets as well as kosher and halal dining options.

If you have a food allergy or intolerance, we encourage you to reach out to our registered dietitian at prior to coming to campus. The dietitian is available to provide expertise and collaborate with the chefs and dining hall managers to identify safe menu options that fit your needs. You’ll also want to check out Thrive at Owen Hall. This unique location is Certified Free From™ the Big 8 allergens (eggs, fish, milk, peanuts, shellfish, soy, tree nuts and wheat) plus gluten. Menu signs also track alcohol, beef, coconut, gelatin, pork, and sesame as well as vegan/vegetarian options. Our nationally recognized food allergy program creates a personalized experience for diners.


For Further Housing Information

University Housing Assignments Office

Housing Assignments Office
1855 Place
550 S. Harrison Road
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48823
Telephone:  1-517-884-LIVE (5483) or
877-9 LIVE ON (954-8366)

Culinary Services

Culinary Services Office
1855 Place
550 S. Harrison Road
East Lansing, MI 48823
Telephone:  1-517-884-0660

Off-Campus Housing

Student and Community Relations
555 E. Circle Drive, Room 169
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1113
Telephone:  1-517-432-7527

University Housing Policy

Michigan State University's housing system seeks to provide an educational environment which is maximally conducive to the learning process of students. Consistent with this philosophy, a variety of living options supported by student fees, is made available in university housing. The university has requirements for on-campus residence to promote an optimal learning environment for students. Any undergraduate student enrolled for seven or more credits at Michigan State University for a semester, summer session excluded, is subject to the university's housing regulations. Compliance with the university housing policy is a condition of enrollment.


Administrative Ruling-University Housing Requirements and Procedures

In accordance with the University Housing Policy, the following stipulations apply:

On-Campus Housing Requirement. Subject to the exceptions below, as a condition of enrollment, first year and second year students must live in on-campus housing for the first four semesters they are enrolled, summer term excluded, and subject to the exceptions listed below. Failure to adhere to the on-campus housing requirement may result in termination of enrollment.

Exceptions to On-Campus Housing Requirement. The on-campus housing requirement above is subject to the following exceptions:

  1. Married students.
  2. Students who will be at least twenty years old by December 31 of the applicable academic year. 
  3. Veterans with one or more years of active service. 
  4. Students living with a family member. 
  5. Students taking 6 or less credits during the semester in question. 
  6. MSU-approved group housing, but only for those students in their second year of enrollment.

Any student seeking an exception to the on-campus housing requirement, must apply for the exception prior to moving into university housing. The most current housing exceptions and procedures for an exception can be obtained by contacting the Office of Student and Community Relations, Student Services Building, 555 E. Circle Drive, Room 169,
East Lansing, MI, 48824, at 1-517-355-8286 or visiting


Those students for whom the housing requirement is a condition of enrollment will be asked to verify their adherence to it. Failure to maintain the required residency could result in termination of enrollment. Enforcement of the housing regulations is the responsibility of the Division of Student Life and Engagement. The housing requirement does not apply to students during a semester in which they are enrolled for 6 or fewer credits or during the summer. In any subsequent semester during which the student carries 7 or more credits, the requirement will again become applicable.


Every student is required to report their correct current address at the time of registration and to report any change of address thereafter. Failure to register the actual address at which they are living, or failure to notify the university of a change of address within five class days after the change becomes effective, will be considered as falsification of university records. Change of off-campus address is made in the Office of the Registrar or via Stulnfo. Change of on-campus address is made in the student's My Housing account. Holds can be placed on accounts not in compliance.

Housing Contract

The Residence Education and Housing Services Housing Contracts is in effect for the period stated in the terms of the Contract. Any student, regardless of class standing, is obligated to fulfill the duration of the Housing Contract unless an authorized release is obtained. (Note: Application for release may be made through Residence Education and Housing Services.) This regulation applies to all students (freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors, special and graduate) who enter into a contract for on-campus housing.


Only those persons who have received official housing assignments may live in university housing.


Special Permission

Special Permission 
Prior to moving into university housing, any new student may apply for an exception to the housing requirements. Information on the housing exception 
procedure and extenuating circumstances criteria for exceptions can be obtained at
Living units that were recognized by the university as ‘supervised’ housing units in the spring of 1983 will continue to be eligible to house students consistent with past practice. Specific conditions that will ensure this eligibility will be developed by the Senior Vice President for Student Life and Engagement or designee and in consultation with appropriate off campus representatives (this could be city or township people, landlords, etc.). The residents of these units must be advised that the unit is neither supervised by nor under the jurisdiction of the university and that the university assumes no responsibility for the program, the facility, or persons associated with the unit.