Academic Programs Catalog

College of Education

Minor in Education and Society

The Minor in Education and Society, which is administered by the College of Education, provides an opportunity for students interested in the intersection of learning, education, and society. The minor is a valuable addition for those pursuing careers in the social and behavioral sciences, law, social justice, or education. This minor does not offer professional training for teaching or lead to a teaching certificate or license.

The minor is available as an elective to students who are enrolled in bachelor’s degree programs at Michigan State University other than the Bachelor of Arts degrees in Education and Special Education.  With the approval of the department and college that administers the student’s degree program, the courses that are used to satisfy the minor may also be used to satisfy the requirements for the bachelor’s degree.

Students who plan to complete the requirements for the minor should consult with the academic advisor for the Education and Society minor in the College of Education.

Requirements for the Minor in Education and Society

1. Complete the following course (3 credits):
TE 201 Current Issues in Education 3
2. Complete 15 credits of approved course work from the following:
CEP 240 Diverse Learners in Multicultural Perspective 3
CEP 260 Dynamics of Personal Adjustment 3
CEP 261 Substance Abuse 3
CEP 416 Teaching and Learning with Technology 3
CEP 460 Communication Skill Training for the Helping Professional 3
CEP 470 Disability in a Diverse Society 3
EAD 315 Student Leadership Training 3
EAD 361 Educational Reform and Policy Analysis 3
TE 101 Social Foundations of Justice and Equity in Education 3
TE 102 Pedagogy and Politics of Justice and Equity in Education 3
TE 150 Reflections on Learning 3
TE 250 Human Diversity, Power, and Opportunity in Social Institutions 3
TE 351 Urban Education 3
TE 352 Immigrant Language and Culture 3
TE 353 International Education 3
Additional courses may be used to fulfill this requirement with approval by the student’s academic advisor for the minor.