Academic Programs Catalog

Undergraduate Education

Financial Aid for Undergraduates

A comprehensive and coordinated program of financial aid to assist qualified students is available to Michigan State University undergraduates in the form of scholarships, educational grants, loans, and work-study.

Applications for financial aid are available on the web at Results of the application, known as the FAFSA, are sent electronically to the MSU Office of Financial Aid for processing. MSU's school code is 002290. The FAFSA will ask you for this code.

When a FAFSA is received and the extent of the financial need is determined, the student is considered for any of the aid for which they are eligible. The financial aid package is prepared to assist in meeting the financial need of the student. This package may include any combination of scholarship, grant, loan, or work-study. Career Services, 113 Student Services Building,, assists students in procuring jobs.

Most of the educational grants require that financial need be demonstrated. Many of the scholarships and grants are limited to Michigan residents.

Students may obtain information about applying for aid at the Office of Financial Aid, 252 Student Services Building, or

Federal Aid and Satisfactory Academic Progress Toward the Bachelor's Degree

Federal aid regulations limit the amount of time federal financial aid recipients can work toward a bachelor's degree and require measured progress toward that degree.

  1. Students who have completed the requirements for an undergraduate degree are no longer eligible for federal, state, or institutional funds once the degree requirements have been met, regardless of whether the student seeks conferral of the degree.
  2. Students who have exceeded the maximum time frame to complete the degree as described below are no longer eligible for any federal, state, or institutional need-based funds or any federal loans funds.

Undergraduate students seeking their first bachelor's degree are allowed to earn 150% of the number of credits required for the degree. Most bachelor's degrees require 120 credits. In this case, students enrolling in a semester after earning their 180th credit are no longer considered to be making Satisfactory Academic Progress toward the degree.

Many Certificates in Agriculture Technology and Certificates in Veterinary Technology require 60 credits. For these programs, the 150% limit would be 90 credits.

Credits completed at all post-secondary institutions that are acceptable for transfer at Michigan State University are counted in the total, whether the credits apply to a student's current program or not and whether or not the student received aid for them.

Students are expected to successfully complete 67% of the credits taken during their time of attendance. Successful completion of these credits means the student receives passing grades for them, even if the grades do not meet degree requirements specific to their program. If a course is repeated, each instance of the course is counted as an attempt, but the student can only earn credit for the course once.

Federal Aid and Required GPA

Federal regulations require that students must maintain a cumulative grade-point average (GPA) sufficient to meet university graduation requirements. This is a minimum GPA of 2.00 for undergraduate students.

Federal Financial Aid Probation and Denial

Students who fail to meet any of the above requirements are notified by the Office of Financial Aid regarding their federal aid eligibility status. The notification will outline the appeal process for students with extenuating circumstances.

There are four kinds of federal aid eligibility status:

  1. Federal aid regular status applies to students who successfully complete 67% of their MSU assessed credits, are within the 150% maximum credit limit and have the minimum required GPA.
  2. Federal aid warning applies to students who have failed the 67% successful completion rule and/or who have fallen below the minimum cumulative GPA in the semester. This is a one-semester grace period. Students are eligible for federal aid while in this status.  
  3. Federal aid denial applies to students who, after a semester on warning have not achieved regular status, after a semester of probation have not achieved regular status or the terms outlined in the granting of probation, or have exceeded the 150% maximum credit limit. In all cases, the denial will apply unless the student submits a successful appeal or regains good standing by fulfilling the requirements.
  4. Federal aid probation applies when a student has submitted a successful appeal, for the duration of the approved appeal. 

Students who are unable to complete a bachelor's degree within 150% of the required credits for the degree are ineligible for federal financial aid and are placed on federal aid denial beginning with the semester following the one in which they enrolled in their last credit. A student granted an extension will be placed on federal aid probation.

Impact of Enrollment Status on Federal Pell Grant, TEACH Grant or Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants

The U.S. Department of Education requires institutions to verify that students who receive a Federal Pell Grant, TEACH Grant or the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant (IASG) begin attendance in all the classes for which they are registered. The amount a student receives for these grants is prorated if the student is enrolled less than full-time prior to the end of the “tuition refund period” end date listed in the academic calendar. In some cases, students may be ineligible for the grant at a lower enrollment status. 

When a student earns a failing grade at the end of a semester the instructor is also required to indicate whether the student began attendance in the course. If the instructor does not confirm attendance in the course, then the student’s eligibility will be revised retroactively for the term and the student will be responsible for paying the balance owed to the school.

Student Loans

University Short-Term Loan Program

The Short–Term Loan Program at Michigan State University is designed to help students meet emergency situations and should not be regarded as a means of financing a college education.


Federal Direct Subsidized Loan

The Federal Direct Subsidized Loan is based on demonstrated need. While the student is enrolled at least half time, payment on the principle is deferred and the federal government pays interest.  Interest will begin to accrue when a borrower enters repayment. Interest rates vary annually, but the rate for the year the funds are borrowed are in effect for the life of that loan. The rate for 2024-25 is 6.53%.

Completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required for participation in the Federal Direct Subsidized Loan Program.

Annual maximums for Federal Direct Subsidized Loans are:

Freshman $3,500
Sophomore $4,500
Junior/Senior $5,500

The lifetime loan limit for all Direct Subsidized Loans is $23,000.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan is not based on need. Payment on the principal is deferred while the student borrower is enrolled at least half time. Interest is paid by the student borrower through quarterly payments, or if a student desires it can be capitalized i.e. added to the principal at the time the loan enters repayment. Interest rates vary annually, but the rate for the year the funds are borrowed are in effect for the life of that loan. The rate for 2024-25 is 6.53%.

Completion of the FAFSA is required for participation in the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan program.

Annual maximums for the Direct Unsubsidized Loans are:

Dependent Freshman $5,500
Dependent Sophomore $6,500
Dependent Junior/Senior $7,500
Independent Freshman $9,500
Independent Sophomore $10,500
Independent Junior/Senior  $12,500

Note that the maximums include both subsidized and unsubsidized
loans. For example, an independent freshman who receives a $3,500
subsidized loan can borrow no more than $6,000 in unsubsidized loan.

Lifetime loan limits for all Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans are:

Dependent undergraduate $31,000
Independent undergraduate $57,500

Federal Direct PLUS Loan

The Federal Direct PLUS Loan Program is for parents of dependent undergraduate students. A credit check is required and will be conducted by the loan servicer. The maximum amount that can be borrowed is the cost of education less any outside resources and/or financial aid received. Interest rates vary annually, but the rate for the year the funds are borrowed is in effect for the life of that loan. The rate for 2024-25 is 9.08%. Repayment begins 60 days after the loan is fully disbursed unless the parent requests that repayment be delayed until the student ceases to be enrolled half-time. Completion of the FAFSA is required for participation in the Direct PLUS Program.

Student Employment

The Student Employment Office provides resources for students seeking part–time and summer employment opportunities throughout their careers at Michigan State University. Various types of positions are available, both on–campus and off–campus. Students interested in employment after graduation will find assistance through Career Services and Placement.

Students who qualify for financial aid through the Federal Work–Study program will find job opportunities listed on the Career Services Web site, Handshake, for jobs located both on–campus and off–campus.

A student who plans to work will need to provide identification and an original Social Security card in order to complete the W–4 and I–9 forms to comply with federal laws. A complete list of acceptable documents and more specific information is available at the Career Services, 113 Student Services Building, 1-517-355-9510.

Besides listing job opportunities, Career Services offers many other services and resources to students during their careers at Michigan State University.  Services include workshops offered throughout the year to aid students in their job searches, resume critiquing, advising about specific aspects of job searches and employment, a career–related referral service for paid internships, on–campus interviewing for summer positions, and a summer Job and Internship Fair, held every February.

Other State and Federal Programs of Financial Assistance

These programs are not administered directly by Michigan State University. However, the university will, on request, certify students receiving awards under these programs with the appropriate agency.

Brief descriptions of the programs are given below and additional information can be obtained from the agency indicated or from the Veteran Certification Team, Office of the Registrar, 150 Administration Building.

State of Michigan

Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver

To qualify, a student must be certified by the Michigan Department of Civil Rights as a member of a federally recognized tribe and be a legal resident of the State of Michigan for not less than 12 consecutive months. This program covers only resident tuition for any postsecondary–level course work, part–time or full–time. Further information concerning qualifications and application procedures is available by contacting the Office of Financial Aid.

Children of Veterans Tuition Grant (CVTG)

A person not under 16 and not over 22 years of age who has been a resident of Michigan for 12 months and who is the child of a Michigan veteran of the armed forces of the United States who was killed in action or died from other causes during a war or war condition in which the United States has been, is, or may hereafter be a participant, or who as a result of wartime service has since died or is totally disabled, or who as a result of war time service was totally disabled before death from any cause or who is officially listed by the United States government as missing in action in a foreign country, may be eligible for educational assistance under this act. Inquiries and application should be made with the Michigan Department of Treasury at or 1-888-447-2687.

Police Officer's and Fire Fighter's Survivor Tuition Grant
Public Act 195 of 1996

The Survivor Tuition Grant provides for the waiver of tuition at public universities for the surviving spouse and children of Michigan police officers and fire fighters killed in the line of duty. Tuition will be covered for eligible survivors enrolled in an undergraduate degree program. Inquiries and application should be made with the Michigan Department of Treasury at or 1-888-447-2687.

Michigan Veterans Trust Fund

Temporary assistance granted by the Michigan Veterans Trust Fund (MVTF) for emergencies or hardships is available to eligible wartime veterans, and their families, residing in the state. Additional information is available at Michigan Veterans Trust Fund at or 1-800-642-4938.

Michigan Rehabilitation Services

Financial assistance to persons who have a disability that has interfered with or may interfere with the individual's job performance should contact the Michigan Rehabilitation Services, Human Services, Box 30010, Lansing, Michigan 48909 or 1-800-605-6722.

United States Government

Veterans Education Benefits

The Veterans Administration (VA) offers a number of programs to those who have served, as well as to eligible survivors and dependents of veterans. Contact the Veterans Certification Team, Office of the Registrar, 150 Administration Building. A brief summary of each program is listed below.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill®

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides up to 36 months of education benefits to those who have served on active duty after September 10, 2001. These benefits can be used only at institutions of higher learning within 15 years from the date of last discharge from active duty.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (Chapter 30)

The MGIB-Active Duty program provides up to 36 months of education benefits to those who have served on active duty.

Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)

The MGIB-Selected Reserve program may be available to eligible members of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)

The Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) is a Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

Survivors and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)

The Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA) provides education and training opportunities to eligible survivors and dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits.

Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 32)

The Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) is available if those who first entered active duty between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985 and elected to make contributions from military pay to participate in this education benefit program. Contributions are matched on a $2 for $1 basis by the U.S. Government.

Department of Veterans Affairs Work–Study Allowance

Eligible veterans may apply directly with the Department of Veterans Affairs for the VA Work–Study Program.
Students approved for educational assistance allowances should contact a VA Certifying Official, Office of the Registrar, 150 Administration Building.