Academic Programs Catalog

College of Education

Minor in Educational Studies

The Minor in Educational Studies, which is administered by the College of Education, provides an opportunity for students interested in the intersection of learning, education, and society. The minor is a valuable addition for those pursuing careers in the social and behavioral sciences, law, social justice, or education. This minor does not offer professional training for teaching or lead to a teaching certificate or license.

The minor is available as an elective to students who are enrolled in bachelor’s degree programs at Michigan State University other than the Bachelor of Arts degrees in Education and Special Education.  With the approval of the department and college that administers the student’s degree program, the courses that are used to satisfy the minor may also be used to satisfy the requirements for the bachelor’s degree.

Students who plan to complete the requirements for the minor should consult with the academic advisor for the Educational Studies minor in the College of Education.

Requirements for the Minor in Educational Studies

1. Complete the following course (3 credits):
TE 201 Current Issues in Education 3
2. Complete 15 credits of approved course work from the following:
CEP 260 Dynamics of Personal Adjustment 3
CEP 261 Substance Abuse 3
CEP 370 Educating Students with Special Needs 3
CEP 371 Fundamentals of Conflict and Conflict Resolution in Educational Settings 3
CEP 416 Teaching and Learning with Technology 3
CEP 460 Communication Skill Training for the Helping Professional 3
CEP 470 Disability in a Diverse Society 3
EAD 315 Student Leadership Training 3
EAD 361 Educational Reform and Policy Analysis 3
EAD 362 Student Culture and Higher Education 3
EAD 363 Diversity and Higher Education 3
TE 150 Reflections on Learning 3
TE 250 Human Diversity, Power, and Opportunity inSocial Institutions 3
TE 351 Urban Education 3
TE 352 Immigrant Language and Culture 3
TE 353 International Education 3
Additional courses may be used to fulfill this requirement with approval by the student’s academic advisor for the minor.