Academic Programs Catalog

General Information, Policies, Procedures and Regulations

Student Health Insurance

Michigan State University partners with  Blue Care Network (BCN) to provide health insurance options for students, graduate assistants and eligible dependents. When enrolled in the plan, students and graduate assistants are assigned a primary care physician, or PCP, who’s based at Olin Health Care Center on campus. More information can be found at

For further information on student insurance and how to enroll, contact MSU Human Resources at 1407 South Harrison Road, East Lansing, MI 48823, 1-517-353-4434,, or visit

Graduate Assistants

Students on a graduate assistantship will be automatically enrolled in the insurance plan as a benefit offered by Michigan State University. Eligible spouses and dependents of graduate assistants can be enrolled on a voluntary basis and are partially funded by MSU.


International Students

Most international students who are not on a graduate assistantship are required to purchase the Michigan State University health plan.  The charge for health insurance premium will be included on the Registration Billing Statement and the student will be automatically enrolled. A limited number of eligible international students who can demonstrate active coverage under other insurance that meets the applicable waiver criteria, may apply for a waiver.


Human, Osteopathic, and Veterinary Medical Students

All medical students in the Colleges of Human, Osteopathic, and Veterinary Medicine are required to purchase the Michigan State University plan or submit proof of other comparable health insurance. The charge for insurance premiums will be included on the Registration Billing Statement.


All Other Undergraduate and Graduate Students

Students meeting the eligibility requirements may enroll on a voluntary basis. This includes undergraduate and graduate students who are in a degree program or completing certification.