[Includes rejected electronic check/Automated Clearing House (ACH) payments]
A $25.00 returned item service fee will be assessed to a student whose ACH/Check payment is returned from their financial institution to MSU unpaid.
In addition to the returned item service charge, the university reserves the right to take one or more of the following actions:
- Place an immediate enrollment and financial hold.
- Block the student or other authorized guest from making an ACH payment towards a student's account when three payments made towards a student's account have been returned within one year. The student will no longer have ACH payment as an available method of payment on their student account for one year from the date of the first returned payment.
- Transfer the debt to a collection agency.
- File a complaint with the police for possible prosecution.
- Refer the student to the Judicial Affairs Office for disciplinary action.
- Bring civil action against the individual for the amount of a returned check/ACH not redeemed within 30 days of the date of the notification letter and $250 in costs. In addition, the court could rule that you must also pay the greater of $100 or two times the amount of the returned check/ACH. If you pay the total amount due within 30 days, no civil action will be taken against you.