Academic Programs Catalog

Undergraduate Education

Financial Aid for Undergraduates

Other State and Federal Programs of Financial Assistance

These programs are not administered directly by Michigan State University. However, the university will, on request, certify students receiving awards under these programs with the appropriate agency.

Brief descriptions of the programs are given below and additional information can be obtained from the agency indicated or from the Veteran Certification Team, Office of the Registrar, 150 Administration Building.

State of Michigan

Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver

To qualify, a student must be certified by the Michigan Department of Civil Rights as a member of a federally recognized tribe and be a legal resident of the State of Michigan for not less than 12 consecutive months. This program covers only resident tuition for any postsecondary–level course work, part–time or full–time. Further information concerning qualifications and application procedures is available by contacting the Office of Financial Aid.

Children of Veterans Tuition Grant (CVTG)

A person not under 16 and not over 22 years of age who has been a resident of Michigan for 12 months and who is the child of a Michigan veteran of the armed forces of the United States who was killed in action or died from other causes during a war or war condition in which the United States has been, is, or may hereafter be a participant, or who as a result of wartime service has since died or is totally disabled, or who as a result of war time service was totally disabled before death from any cause or who is officially listed by the United States government as missing in action in a foreign country, may be eligible for educational assistance under this act. Inquiries and application should be made with the Michigan Department of Treasury at or 1-888-447-2687.

Police Officer's and Fire Fighter's Survivor Tuition Grant
Public Act 195 of 1996

The Survivor Tuition Grant provides for the waiver of tuition at public universities for the surviving spouse and children of Michigan police officers and fire fighters killed in the line of duty. Tuition will be covered for eligible survivors enrolled in an undergraduate degree program. Inquiries and application should be made with the Michigan Department of Treasury at or 1-888-447-2687.

Michigan Veterans Trust Fund

Temporary assistance granted by the Michigan Veterans Trust Fund (MVTF) for emergencies or hardships is available to eligible wartime veterans, and their families, residing in the state. Additional information is available at Michigan Veterans Trust Fund at or 1-800-642-4938.

Michigan Rehabilitation Services

Financial assistance to persons who have a disability that has interfered with or may interfere with the individual's job performance should contact the Michigan Rehabilitation Services, Human Services, Box 30010, Lansing, Michigan 48909 or 1-800-605-6722.

United States Government

Veterans Education Benefits

The Veterans Administration (VA) offers a number of programs to those who have served, as well as to eligible survivors and dependents of veterans. Contact the Veterans Certification Team, Office of the Registrar, 150 Administration Building. A brief summary of each program is listed below.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill®

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides up to 36 months of education benefits to those who have served on active duty after September 10, 2001. These benefits can be used only at institutions of higher learning within 15 years from the date of last discharge from active duty.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (Chapter 30)

The MGIB-Active Duty program provides up to 36 months of education benefits to those who have served on active duty.

Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)

The MGIB-Selected Reserve program may be available to eligible members of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)

The Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) is a Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

Survivors and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)

The Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA) provides education and training opportunities to eligible survivors and dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits.

Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 32)

The Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) is available if those who first entered active duty between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985 and elected to make contributions from military pay to participate in this education benefit program. Contributions are matched on a $2 for $1 basis by the U.S. Government.

Department of Veterans Affairs Work–Study Allowance

Eligible veterans may apply directly with the Department of Veterans Affairs for the VA Work–Study Program.
Students approved for educational assistance allowances should contact a VA Certifying Official, Office of the Registrar, 150 Administration Building.