Listed below are the approved requirements for the program from the official Academic Programs Catalog.
Students must consult their advisors to learn which specific requirements apply to their degree programs.
College of Natural Science
Department of Integrative Biology
Integrative Biology - Doctor of Philosophy
Requirements for the Doctor of Philosophy Degree in Integrative Biology
The student's program of study must be developed in cooperation with and approved by the student's guidance committee and must include the requirements specified below:
- Complete at least 6 credits in two 800-level courses in biology.
- A minimum of 4 semesters of at least one-half time of supervised teaching, research, or other university service. The specific requirements are to be determined by the student’s guidance committee. Students should expect to complete all Ph.D. requirements in no more than 5 years.
- Complete 24 credits of IBIO 999 Doctoral Dissertation Research.
- Successful completion of the comprehensive examination, taken no later than the end of the first semester of the second calendar year after completing the Master’s degree or the end of the first semester of the third calendar year from the time of the student’s first enrollment at MSU, if they did not enter with a master’s and is working directly toward the doctoral degree.
- Successfully defend the doctoral dissertation.