Listed below are the approved requirements for the program from the official Academic Programs Catalog.
Students must consult their advisors to learn which specific requirements apply to their degree programs.
Following this section are the requirements as represented in Degree Navigator
, MSU's online advising tool. The Degree Navigator section is only available for programs using Degree Navigator for degree certification.
College of Social Science
Department of Anthropology
Anthropology - Bachelor of Arts
Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree in Anthropology
- The University requirements for bachelor's degrees as described in the Undergraduate Education section of this catalog; 120 credits, including general elective credits, are required for the Bachelor or Arts degree in Anthropology.
The University's Tier II writing requirement for the Anthropology major is met by completing Anthropology 489. That course is referenced in item 3. a. below.
- The requirements of the College of Social Science for the Bachelor of Arts degree.
- The following required major courses (30 credits):
- All of the following courses:
ANP 201 Introduction to Cultural Anthropology (3)
ANP 203 Introduction to Archaeology (3)
ANP 206 Introduction to Physical Anthropology (3)
ANP 489 Anthropology Capstone Course (W) (3)
- One area course from Anthropology 410, 411, 414, 415, 416, 417, 419, 432, 433, 451, 452, 453, 455.
- One topical/analytical course from Anthropology 320, 321, 325, 330, 362, 363, 364, 370, 420, 422, 423, 425, 426, 428, 430, 431, 436, 439, 440, 441, 443, 461, 462.
- One anthropological methods course selected from Anthropology 429, 441, 463, and 464.
- Four additional Anthropology courses, at least three of which must be at the 300–400 level. Anthropology 101 may not be used to meet this requirement.