Academic Programs Catalog

General Information, Policies, Procedures and Regulations

Student Services

Michigan State University provides extensive student  services and support to assist students in making their educational experiences more engaging and satisfying. While the principal function of the university is to provide a suitable intellectual environment for students through classrooms, laboratories, and stimulating members of the faculty, it is recognized that the total development of the individual—personal, social, and physical as well as intellectual—is of equal importance and that learning occurs in many venues.


Academic Student Affairs Offices in the Colleges

Each college through its dean or an associate dean maintains an office in charge of academic affairs of students in the college. These offices assist their students in academic matters such as exploration and goal setting, enrollment, changes of major program, academic advisement, and withdrawal and readmission procedures.


Vice President for Student Affairs and Services

The Vice President for Student Affairs and Services has general administrative responsibility for student matters. The multiple services and responsibilities are carried out through Recreational Sports and Fitness Services, Career Services Network, Center for Service-Learning and Civic Engagement, LBGT Resource Center, Multi-Racial Unity Living Experience (MRULE), MSU Safe Place, Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities, Office of Cultural and Academic Transitions, Student Parent Resource Center, and Graduate Student Life and Wellness.

Also included are: Fall Welcome, Greek Life, Mosaic-Multicultural Center, Off-Campus Housing, Sexual Assault and Relationship Violence, Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution, Student Government and Activities Advising, Leadership Development, Student Organizations and Activities, and Veterans Resource Center.

For more information, refer to Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs and Services in the Other Departments and Offices for Research and Services section of this catalog or visit


Student Health Insurance

Blue Care Network (BCN) of Michigan is the health insurance plan administrator for Michigan State University students and their eligible dependents. BCN coverage provides access to quality health care through hospitals, physicians and affiliated health care professionals in the BCN of Michigan provider network. Providers can be located on the BCN website at


Graduate Assistants

Students on a graduate assistantship will be automatically enrolled in the insurance plan as a benefit offered by Michigan State University. Eligible spouses and dependents of graduate assistants can be enrolled on a voluntary basis and are partially funded by MSU.


International Students

International students not on a graduate assistantship are required to purchase the Michigan State University plan or submit proof of other comparable health insurance. The charge for insurance premiums will be included on the Registration Billing Statement.


Human, Osteopathic, and Veterinary Medical Students

All medical students in the Colleges of Human, Osteopathic, and Veterinary Medicine are required to purchase the Michigan State University plan or submit proof of other comparable health insurance. The charge for insurance premiums will be included on the Registration Billing Statement.


All Other Undergraduate and Graduate Students

Students meeting the eligibility requirements may enroll on a voluntary basis. This includes undergraduate and graduate students who are in a degree program or completing certification, as well as College of Law students actively attending classes on the MSU campus.

For further information on student insurance and how to enroll, contact MSU Human Resources at 1407 S. Harrison Rd., 110 Nisbet Bldg., East Lansing, MI 48823, 1-517-353-4434,, or visit


Student Health Service at Olin Health Center and the Neighborhoods

Olin Health Center, located on East Circle Drive, provides outpatient medical, and health promotion services to Michigan State University students. Medical services include primary care, women's health, sports medicine, and psychiatry. Additional services provided at Olin Health Center include laboratory, pharmacy, physical therapy, X-ray, allergy therapy and immunizations, nutrition counseling, HIV testing, and SPARTANfit exercise programs. Parking is available in the adjacent parking ramp. A Courtesy Van is available to provide transportation to and from Olin  Health Center to patients who, because of illness or injury, are otherwise unable to visit Olin.  Additional primary care clinics are located in Brody, Holden, Hubbard, and McDonel halls. The Phone Information Nurse is available for health-related questions 24 hours per day.

MSU Student Health Services is accredited by the Joint Commission  and staffed with board-certified physicians and certified health care professionals.

Michigan State University and Michigan State University College of Law students and their spouses/domestic partners are eligible for services at Olin Health Center. Students are encouraged to secure health insurance coverage. The university will subsidize the first three medical office visits each year to the Olin Health Center for students enrolled in Michigan State University classes. Olin will bill for the fourth and subsequent visits, as well as for other services. As a service to patients, charges for students with health insurance will be billed directly to the student’s insurance company.

Information about the Student Insurance plan is available through the Michigan State University Benefits Office at 1-517-353-4434, or

The Michigan State University student or spouse Identification card and insurance information should be presented when service is requested at Olin Health Center. For information regarding appointments, office hours, services, and charges, call 1-517-355-4510, or visit the MSU Student Health Services Web site at or e-mail


Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities

Michigan State University values and promotes participation by people with disabilities in all aspects of campus life.  The Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities (RCPD) is available to faculty, staff and students to foster understanding of the opportunities and responsibilities under disability-related legislation.

Registration with the RCPD is essential for students and employees with disabilities in order to facilitate timely and effective assistance.  Staff at the RCPD are ready with information, resources, and guidance for the campus community in support of full inclusion.

The RCPD is located at 120 Bessey Hall, 1-517-884-7273 (4-RCPD), or



The Counseling Center offers a range of services to enrolled MSU students, including time-limited individual and group counseling, psychological assessment and testing, multicultural counseling, substance abuse counseling, and the Sexual Assault Program, which offers individual and group counseling and advocacy services to students who have experienced sexual assault.  Any student registered for one or more credits is eligible for an initial consultation/assessment; as resources permit, additional services and/or referrals to community and on-campus resources may be provided.  The Counseling Center’s Testing Office is MSU’s primary resource for standardized testing, including both computer- and paper-based graduate and professional school entrance exams such as the GRE, MCAT, and TOEFL.  The Counseling Center, the Testing Office, and the Sexual Assault Program are located in the Student Services Building and can be reached at 1-517-355-8270 or online at

For additional information, refer to Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs and Services in the Other Departments and Offices for Research and Services section of this catalog.


Other Services

Career Services Network

The Career Services Network assists students with career exploration, decision making, and job search strategies. Staff provide advising, assessments, workshops, networking resources, and on-campus interviews. In addition, the Career Services Network hosts 12 major career fairs each year. Students may access a wide range of part-time, internship, and entry-level job listings through the Handshake system. For more information, visit


Student Parent Resource Center

The Student Parent Resource Center (SPRC) coordinates information, resources, and University initiatives to support student-parents managing academics and family life. Students may contact the SPRC coordinator at 1-517-432-3745 or for information about programs and services, including child care, emergency backup child care, sick child care, student parent support, financial assistance, campus and community involvement opportunities, and other resource referrals. 


Early Childhood Units

Two early childhood units are available to the children of Michigan State University students: The Michigan State University Laboratory Preschool and the Family/Infant/Toddler Learning Program. These two programs are administered by the Department of Human Development and Family Studies in the College of Social Science.


MSU Safe Place

MSU Safe Place is a confidential relationship violence and stalking program on campus that offers counseling, support group, advocacy, referrals, and/or shelter for MSU students, staff, faculty, retirees, their partners and Greater Lansing community members. MSU Safe Place also provides community education and professional trainings for groups wanting to learn more about these issues. MSU Safe Place reflects the University's commitment to provide an environment that offers prevention and supportive interventions to address relationship violence and stalking. All services are free and confidential. Call (517) 355-1100, visit our Web site at or e-mail

United States Postal Service

The United States Postal Service operates a branch in the MSU Union. In addition to this branch, there is a self-service postal unit on the corner of Shaw Lane and Farm Lane.


University Ombudsperson

The University Ombudsperson  is an official to whom students may appeal regarding grievances involving faculty and administrators. Visit


Department of Police and Public Safety

The MSU Police Department handles all police and criminal matters on all MSU property and offers a variety of safety services to the university community. Visit for more information.


Office of Supportive Services

The Office of Supportive Services is a multifaceted, holistic, academic support unit that provides services for students who are first-generation, low income, and/or meet other participant criteria to be part of the TRIO Student Support Services Program. Visit


Transportation Services on Campus

CATA Bus Service

The campus bus service is provided by the Capital Area Transportation Authority (CATA). CATA operates fixed routes, serving all university apartments, residence halls, commuter lots, and the main campus 24/7 during fall and spring semesters.  Campus service does not operate during university breaks or on university- recognized holidays.  Additionally, CATA provides direct service to off-campus apartments in East Lansing, Lansing, Lansing Township, Okemos, and Haslett areas year-round as well as many other destinations in the Greater Lansing area. You can learn about fares, tips for new riders and view the CATA service area online.  Visit for personal trip itineraries, comprehensive service information and online pass sales.

Weekday Campus Regular Fixed-Route Service - CATA’s weekday campus service operates from approximately 7:00 a.m. to 2:30 a.m. during fall and spring semesters, excluding university breaks and holidays. This includes service on the following routes: #30, #31, and #39. Additionally, Routes #32 and #33 operate weekdays from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.  Route #32 serves the Commuter Lot 89 and Clinical Center, and Route #33 travels the central portion of campus.

Evening and Late-Night Campus Service Seven Days a Week - CATA offers two curb-to-curb demand-response services within the campus boundaries during fall and spring semester, excluding university breaks and university-recognized holidays. You can call 1-517-432-8888 or 2-8888 from any campus phone to request a ride.  With either service, the bus arrives within 20 minutes of your call.

Lot Link operates from 7:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. weekdays and 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. on weekends.  Buses travel between student parking lots (#83, #89, or #91) and other campus locations. All rides must start or end at one of the three lots.  

The Night Owl operates from 2:00 a.m. until 7:00 a.m. weekdays (until 9:00 a.m. on weekends).You can also use campus green light phones, located throughout campus, to call for Night Owl service.  Passengers may travel between any two locations on campus. Residents of University and Spartan Village Apartments may also use The Night Owl when traveling to or from any campus location during these hours. 

Weekend Campus Service - CATA’s weekend service operates from approximately 9:00 a.m. until 2:30 a.m. during fall and spring semesters, excluding university breaks and university-recognized holidays. Weekend service is provided on Routes #34, #35, and #36.

Fares and Passes For Regular Fixed-Route Service - The student cash fare is 60¢. Cash fare customers must show  the bus driver a valid Michigan State University Student ID to qualify for the 60¢ fare. Customers not showing the Michigan State University Student ID will pay the regular fare of $1.25. Free transfers are available on all CATA fixed-route buses. 

Students may also purchase a CATA 31-Day Student Pass for $18 or a Semester Pass for $50.  These two passes are good for all CATA fixed-route transportation services on and off-campus. The CATA Commuter Lot Route Pass is $20 for one semester or $33 for two semesters.  The Commuter Lot Pass can only be used for travel on Route #32 which travels between the Commuter Lot and the MSU-CATA Transportation Center/Ramp 1. Passes are sold online at, select Sparty stores in some residence halls, Sparty store in the MSU Union, the MSU ID Office, MSU Police and many convenient off-campus locations. 

The regular fare for non-student faculty and staff is $1.25.  A 31-Day Adult Pass is available for $35.

Paratransit  Service - (Service for Persons with Disabilities) - Spec-Tran is a CATA curb-to-curb service for persons with disabilities who are unable to use CATA fixed-route service. Spec-Tran customers must be certified to be eligible to use this service.  MSU customers must contact the MSU Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities (RCPD) 1-517-884-RCPD (4-7273) TTY: 1-517-355-1293 to apply for certification. Spec-Tran ride reservations must be made by 5:00 p.m. the day before a trip is to occur. Rides can be scheduled up to 14 days in advance. The CATA cash fare for this service is $2.50 per trip. Eligible students may purchase Michigan State University Spec-Tran passes for trips that originate and end on campus at a cost of 60¢ per ride. Contact the RCPD office for details. To schedule a ride, call 1-517-432-8888 or 2-8888 from any campus phone between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. daily.

CATA Information and Assistance - Visit CATA’s Web site at for a personalized trip itinerary or online bus pass purchases, service and fare information, updates on route detours and service changes, etc.  CATA’s Customer Information Center can provide trip-planning assistance in person, by phone or e-mail. Representatives are available to talk, Monday - Friday from 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Call 1-517-394-1000 or 2-CATA (2-2282) from any campus phone for assistance, or e-mail Printed bus schedules are available in most residence halls and at other key campus locations. The ADD line is the Michigan Relay Center Voice - 1-800-649-3777. Large-print versions, audio cassette tapes and MP3 files (downloadable at of all CATA schedules are available for persons with visual impairments. CATA's bus-hailing kits are designed for use at bus stops served by more than one route. The kit allows visually impaired riders to signal the number of their route to operators of approaching buses. Contact CATA Customer Service at 1-517-394-1000 to request these materials. You can also follow CATA on and

MSU/CATA TRANSPORTATION  CENTER (MSU-CTC) - This indoor facility is the main boarding center for CATA bus routes serving campus. It is located on the ground level of the Shaw Ramp (Ramp 1), between North and South Shaw lanes, just east of the  MSU Planetarium.  Amenities include phone access to CATA Customer Service and ride-request phone lines, print maps and timetables, direct access to the Shaw Ramp (Ramp 1), comfortable indoor seating areas, a community policing office, Sparty Convenience Store, ATM, vending machines and restrooms. The facility is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  Those who drive to campus and park in the Shaw Ramp (Ramp 1) can access the MSU-CTC on its ground floor to board a CATA bus for a convenient intermodal commute.



MSU Ordinances require any bicycle possessed or operated on campus to be registered. Bikes must be in operable condition, and be parked and locked at a bike rack, otherwise they may be impounded and fees assessed for retrieval. Michigan State University, City of Lansing, City of East Lansing, Lansing Township, and Meridian Township bike permits are acceptable. Permits must be current, valid, and attached to the bicycle frame’s post below the seat, facing the handlebars. Failure to properly display and/or affix the permit may result in bicycle impoundment. Visit to register your bike (make, color, and serial number must be provided). Bike registration is free of charge. All CATA full sized buses are equipped with bike racks. Each rack accommodates several bikes.

Motor Vehicles and Mopeds

All students whether residing on or off campus must register their vehicle with the MSU Police Department if they operate their vehicles on campus. In addition, mopeds operated on campus must be registered with the MSU Police Department. Failure to do so may result in parking violations and vehicle impoundment. Visit for more information.