[Includes rejected electronic check/Automated Clearing House (ACH) payments]
A $25.00 returned item service charge will be assessed to a student whose registration check/ACH is returned from their financial institution to MSU unpaid.
In addition to the returned item service charge, the university reserves the right to take one or more of the following actions:
- Place an immediate enrollment and financial hold.
- Place the individual on the University Bad Check/ACH List which precludes the individual from presenting checks to the University for any reason and may be a cause for denying future short term loans.
- Block the student and other authorized guest users from making online tuition payments.
- Transfer the debt to a collection agency.
- File a complaint with the police for possible prosecution.
- Refer the student to the Judicial Affairs Office for disciplinary action.
- Bring civil action against the individual for the amount of a returned check/ACH not redeemed within 30 days of the date of the notification letter and $250 in costs. In addition, the court could rule that you must also pay the greater of $100 or two times the amount of the returned check/ACH. If you pay the total amount due within 30 days, no civil action will be taken against you.