During the course of study leading to the completion of the doctorate, a student will meet university, college, and department or school requirements, including:
- taking certifying or qualifying examinations as required by the department, school, or college.
- completing courses in the major and related fields as prescribed by a guidance committee.
- fulfilling any college or departmental or school language requirements.
- meeting the academic standards, including maintaining a 3.00 cumulative grade–point average, required by university, college, and department or school policies.
- passing doctoral comprehensive examinations covering the major and related fields.
- preparing a dissertation that is acceptable to the guidance committee and that is based on original research which makes a significant contribution to knowledge.
- passing a final oral examination in defense of the dissertation.