All international applicants are required to be proficient in English as a condition for regular admission to MSU. Applicants will be required to demonstrate their proficiency by meeting certain minimum standards on any one of the following tests:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A total score of 550 (paper version), 79 (Internet version) or above with no subscores below 52 (paper version) or 17 (Internet version) is required. Visit www.ets.org/toefl for details.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS). A score of 6.5 or higher. Visit www.ielts.org for details.
- Michigan State University Certificate of English Language Proficiency (CELP). A score of 65 with no subscores below 15.
- Michigan State University English Language Test (MSUELT). An average score of at least 80 with no subscores below 80, or an average score above 85 with no subscores below 78, is required. The MSUELT is given on the campus of Michigan State University at the English Language Center.
- Advanced Placement English Language (APIEL) A score of 4 or higher. Visit https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/apcourse for details.
- SAT Verbal. A score of 480 or higher. Visit www.collegeboard.com for details.
- ACT English. A score of 18 or higher. Visit www.act.org for details.
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTEA) A minimum score of 53 and no subscore below 48.