Information on courses that will fulfill Michigan State University General Education requirements is found on the Office of Admissions Transfer Guide Web site at https://admissions.msu.edu/apply/transfer/before-you-apply/admission-standards.aspx.
Courses from postsecondary accredited institutions of comparable academic quality considered as acceptable equivalents that may be used by transfer students for MSU Integrative Studies, Mathematics, and Tier I Writing courses include:
- Tier I Writing, (4 credits)
This requirement is satisfied with completion of a course (or combination of courses) equivalent to MSU WRA 101 or 195H.
- Integrative Studies in Biological and Physical Sciences, (8 credits)
May be satisfied by completion of a combination of one biological science and one physical science course, and 2 credits of equivalent laboratory course work. A number of science-based programs require alternate tracks with specified disciplinary courses. Consult requirements for the major or contact the Office of Admissions.
- Integrative Studies in Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences, (8 credits)
May be satisfied by completion of:
200 level: One Integrative Studies in Social Science (ISS) course numbered 200 to 299. Students matriculating at Michigan State University for the first time have additional options within the Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences to satisfy this requirement. Visit https://admissions.msu.edu/transferguide/ or contact an academic advisor for additional information.
300 level: Interdisciplinary social science courses from four-year institutions may be transferable. Community college transfers must complete this requirement through Michigan State University.
- Integrative Studies in Arts and Humanities, (8 credits)
1st Integrative Studies in Arts and Humanities course: May be satisfied by a completion of one IAH course numbered below 211 or equivalent plus completion of one year of English composition. Completion of this requirement also fulfills the Tier I writing requirement referenced in item 1. above.
2nd Integrative Studies in Arts and Humanities course: One additional IAH course numbered 211 or higher. Students matriculating at Michigan State University for the first time have additional options within the Arts and Humanities to satisfy this requirement. Visit https://admissions.msu.edu/transferguide/ or contact an academic advisor for additional information.
- Mathematics (3-5 credits)
May be satisfied by completing courses equivalent to those in the options below:
- Complete both of the following:
- MTH 103 College Algebra; and
- One of the following courses: MTH 112 Finite Mathematics: Applications of College Algebra, MTH 114 Trigonometry, or MTH 201 Elementary Mathematics for Teachers I; or STT 200 Statistical Methods or STT 201 Statistical Methods.
- Complete one of the following:
- MTH 110 Finite Mathematics and Elements of College Algebra, MTH 116 College Algebra and Trigonometry, MTH 124 Survey of Calculus I, MTH 132 Calculus I, or MTH 152H Honors Calculus I.
Mathematics requirements for certain majors are more extensive than the university requirement. Consult requirements for the major or contact the Office of Admissions for more information.